pages

April 13, 2008

From Thrift to Awesome

I have to say I'm pretty satisfied with myself at the moment, I just finished a great sewing project! I found a long black coat (80s I think) with a gorgeous ruffled flap closure at Savers. I hardly ever wear knee length coats, so it's been hanging around until I got the courage to cut it up.

I removed the lining and the lining zipper, then used a yard stick and water soluble pencil to mark the finished length, and then rough cut it about 2 inches below the marks. I got lucky that my finish length was above the pockets and kick slit in the back - meaning no tricky seam repairs. I angled the cuts towards the center front and back seams for added shape. Next I marked an inch below the finish length, and serged along that line, leaving the lining long. Then I ironed the hem to my finish length marks and sewed 2 finish hem stitches, followed by serging the lining about 1.5" above the hem.

I forgot to take a before pic, but the last image shows the piece I cut off - pretty much half of the coat. I can't wait to wear it!

Indoor, night time photos of a black coat are hard to take and I'm being lazy about setting up lighting - I'll try to take a pic wearing it in better light soon.





Pin It!