pages

January 6, 2009

Making Beauty Goo in the Kitchen

Since we did small gifts this year, I made homemade shaving cream, deodorant and candied citrus peels. Here are the recipes - after some trial and error - they actually came out great.

Homemade Deodorant:

2 Tablespoons coconut oil (whole foods organic)
3 Tablespoons baking soda
3 Tablespoons corn starch
3 Tablespoons cocoa butter (Queen Helene's from CVS)
2 vitamin E oil gel caps
15 drops Essential Oil (vanilla EO from Whole Foods)

Melt everything slowly in a double boiler (chopping up the cocoa butter first helps) and pour into a container. The deodorant is fairly stiff when cool, but softens on your finger tips - next time I will pour into an washed out commercial deodorant dispenser.

It doesn't have a lot of scent, but keeps you from being smelly, I really like it!

Recipe is based on the recipe posted at Angry Chicken, except for my changes - I discovered I don't like the smell of Shea Butter, and wanted a firmer deodorant, so I added more dry ingredients.

Homemade Shaving Cream:

2 bars (10 ounces) grated Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap (I used peppermint)
10 Ounces water
2 Tablespoons Cocoa Butter (Queen Helene's from CVS)
3 Ounces Vegetable Glycerin (Pure Glycerin from CVS)
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (from Whole Foods)

Grate the 2 bars of soap with a cheese grater and soak in the water overnight. Melt and combine other ingredients in a double boiler, and pour in to the soap/water mixture. Use a hand mixer to blend into a light creamy consistency, and pour into a container.

(the recipe is specific about the mixer - no blenders.)

This makes quite a bit of shaving cream, I made 3 full mid-size tupperware containers! Next time I will make a half batch for myself (I froze the extra conatiner) It smells great and works awesome!

Recipe based on the one posted at Frugal Granola, with a few tweaks.



Pin It!