pages

June 10, 2009

Window Shelving

I scanned this image from the TOC of Renovation Style magazine as inspiration to add some shelving to a couple of my windows. I love having plants and pretty glass objects in my windows, but I get frustrated having to move items to open and close the window. I love how this house has a dedicated shelf for their bottle display that doesn't interfere with the operation of the window.

My grandmother used to collect small bottles and fill them with water and food coloring, and set them on the sash, it was so pretty in the sunshine!



I was thinking of white shelf brackets from Ikea, and some wood cut to size from Home Depot, painted white. I'd like to install it in this window in my kitchen, as well as the one above my sink.



I was also excited by this post on Apartment Therapy. This would work great for plants, but less so for pretty objects. Maybe one window with plants, and one with a shelf?



Is there anything you can't do with a BYGEL rail? I've used them for craft supplies, purse storage, craft storage, and as a wall rack.



Pin It!