pages

September 6, 2010

New Nightstand!



Normally, I'm not an advocate pf painting vintage furniture, but when it's pretty beat up and cheaply made to begin with, it can be the best way to go. I picked up this nightstand for $10 bucks because of the cute little drawer and nice details. A few coats of white semi-gloss water based enamel, and I have an adorable new nightstand that matches my white painted dresser. (I also added some cute fabric for the drawer liner and a new white ceramic knob.)

I'm not going to go through all the steps - painting furniture is fairly intuitive, but I do have two tips: Before painting use denatured alcohol to remove dust and grime - it works great and evaporates quickly so the wood won't be damp for painting. Secondly, if you're like me and want to put stuff on dry - but NOT cured painted surfaces, just put a piece of wax paper down first, then remove in a few weeks when the paint is fully cured. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to pick up a book that's been fused to the paint!




Now I need a cuter alarm clock!



Pin It!