pages

January 31, 2011

Tokyo Shopping

So most of the loot I brought back has been eaten, given away, or just folded into my life. Unfortunately, photography is not allowed in stores, so I don't have any images of our shopping adventures. We did so much shopping that I can't even begin to list the shops! There is so much to look at and buy, that I actually got a little sick of it. (gasp!) I did want to share a few places I'd recommend.

Muji - Went like four times, I think? A must go.
Tokyo Hands - blow your mind craft store, find one!

I also loved Allegory Home Tools near Daikanyama Station. A small home goods shop with great prices and lots of unusual items. I bought lots of gifts here.

I got this awesome slipper rack at a.m.a store in Shimokitazawa. Awesome vintage store with lots to look at, fantastic vintage lighting.

And finally.....FABRIC STREET! Located in the Nippori textile district, Fabric street is, you guessed it, and entire street of fabric shops. Tomato is probably the most well known and is hands down the largest fabric/sewing store I could have ever imagined. Spanning multiple buildings, it's just awesome. I spent 3 hours in one building. Nippori is on the JR Yamanote Line, and the "street" is just out side the train station.

This is a great English map of Fabric Street: http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~nippori/map/EnglishMap.pdf

I also found these site helpful when planning shopping trips:
Design*Sponge Tokyo Guide
Cloth and Fodder
Japan Craft Journal



Pin It!