pages

December 27, 2011

Handmade Gifts 2011

Every Chirstmas I always try to come up with some handmade items to give, and I thought I'd share what I made this year!


Infused Tequilas: I made both Jalapeno & Thyme and Lemongrass & Ginger. The Jalapeno & Thyme came out powerful - knock your socks off spicy! Next time less seeds and only 1 day. The Lemongrass & Ginger came out very subtle, but tasty. I used the SLOM bottles from Ikea and typed the message on some old air mail labels I had saved. Infusing liquor is super easy - I have so many ideas I'd like to try! Cucumber, Sage, Coconut.......

The eat make read blog and this about.com article were helpful for recipes.


Embroidered Handkerchiefs: I thought I might try to use more hankies and less tissues this winter, and also thought they'd make nice gifts. Embroidery is bother harder and easier than I thought - making the stitches is fun and easy, but hiding your knots is not. I think I'll stick with it though.

Mary Corbet's Needle 'N Thread site was enormously helpful - awesome video tutorials.


Coconut Milk Caramels: My first foray into candy making! These came out great in the end, but the first batch was a disaster. Definitely test your thermometer first, because mine was way off and resulted in a horrible oily/leathery goo mess. Second round came out great though! - If you use the Food52 recipe, the only comment I have is on step #4 - add the creamy mixture SLOWLY, like a few tablespoons/quarter cup at a time and STIR like crazy. I learned that any radical change in temp will cause the mix to separate.

Find the recipe here: Food52.com



Pin It!